Memorial Day Here

June 3, 1905

Summary

The National Memorial Committee leads a Memorial Day procession in Richmond with “carriages containing the speakers and the dignitaries.”

Transcription

Memorial Day was observed here last Tuesday. The National Memorial Committee had charge of the exercises. The Municipal Band marched from the headquarters of the Spanish American War Veterans, followed by the members of that organization, escorting the latter to the places of rendezvous, Third and Leigh Streets. Major J. B. Johnson followed in a buggy. The Band returned for the Uniform Rank of the Knights of Pythias, which had assembled at the Pythian Castle.

The procession was scheduled to move at 1 o’clock, but it was after 2 o’clock before the march began. The George A. Custer Post of the Grand Army of the Republic was met at 5th and Clay Sts., and had the right of the line. The Spanish American War Veterans, Wm. A. Hankins’ Post, No. 6 came next, then the Uniform Rank, Knights of Pythias and the Independent Beneficiary Club. A large number of picnic wagons with children followed, together with carriages containing the speakers and the dignitaries of the Association followed.

Capt. Wm. White commanded Wm. A. Hankins’ Post, No. 6. The Brigade and Regimental Staffs, U. R., K. of P. wore the Fatigue Uniform.Those present were as follows: Brigadier General, commanding, John Mitchell, Jr.; Col. John R. Chiles, Chief of Staff; Col. D. A. Ferguson, Assistant Adjutant General; Col. Jesse Scruggs, Assistant Commissary General; Col. Benjamin Scott, Assistant Inspector General; Col. E. R. Jefferson, Assistant Surgeon General; Col. J. Henry Stokes, Brigade Engineer; Col. Thomas Smith, Assistant Quartermaster General; Major R. S. Nelson, Col. Thomas M. Crump, commanding; Capt. Thomas H. Wyatt, Capt. W. Henry Jones. Major Wm. A. Robinson, commanding.

Eureka Co., No. 1 was commanded by Capt. R. G. Richardson and Planet Co., No. 8 by Capt. Adolphus Jackson. The Pythian Cadets were in two sections, under command of Capt. Roscoe C. Mitchell. The first section wore the blue uniform and the second section wore the zouave uniform. The march was a long one, but there were no mishaps.

A good crowd had assembled at the National Cemetery. Miss Nannie B. Taylor read the Emancipation Proclamation. President A. C. Brown introduced Mr. W. W. Fields, who after making a short address introduced Rev. W. H. Stokes, A. M., B. D., pastor of the Ebenezer Baptist Church, who delivered a masterly and eloquent oration. He was followed by Rev. T. A. Green, pastor of the A. M. E. Church.

It was 7 o’clock when the line reached its destination on the return trip.

Mr. E. T. Jenkins was Chief Marshal.
About this article

Location on Page

Upper Left Quadrant

Contributed By

Ryan Shah

Citation

“Memorial Day Here,” Black Virginia: The Richmond Planet, 1894-1909, accessed January 20, 2026, https://blackvirginia.richmond.edu/items/show/1099.