Southern Aid Society’s New Home Office Building, Richmond, Virginia.

April 13, 1907

Summary

Architects use technologically advanced plans for the new headquarters in Richmond for the Southern Aid Society.

Transcription

Southern Aid Society’s New Home Office Building, Richmond, Virginia.
Mr. John A. Lankford, the noted architect was in the city this week. He came to present to the Southern Aid Insurance Company (Inc.) the plans and specifications for their new headquarter building, which will be located on North Second Street on the present site of their headquarters now.
The plans and specifications were unanimously accepted. It is a beautiful building of classical design of the Roman class, trimmed with granite and marble, one hundred feet long and three stories high with basement. The basement will be used for the stream heating plant and storage. The building is entered through a large Roman arch colonnade supported with two large Roman columns, resting on and above the doorway is a large male lion carved artistically out of a massive stone and to the right and left of the door are two lion heads set in the walls showing the emblem of strength and beauty combined which is very appropriate to the Company, for it is the strongest Industrial Insurance Company in the State of Virginia.
On the first floor of the building is the main lobby and home office for the company, on the second floor are the office rooms for the public and a large Board room and assembly room for the agents. The third floor is completely set aside for office purposes for the public. It will be the most up-to-date Insurance and office building in the state for Negroes. It has two fire-proof vaults and every modern improvement, heated by steam and lighted by gas and electricity, fire escapes and fire gongs and a complete system of electric call bells and inventories are in each office and modern plumbing throughout with tiled floors and wainscoting.
J. A. Lankford and Bro, are the Architects. They are young men of great ability and national reputation, they have also designed in Richmond Dr. D. Webster Davis’ residence, the famous lecturer. Dr. W. L. Taylor’s three flats and a residence which are now under construction and got out the entire scheme and plans for cottages, schools and churches to be erected at Jonesboro at Old Fort Lee. Their Main Office is 317 6th St. N. W. Washington, D. C.
About this article

Location on Page

Lower Right Quadrant

Contributed By

Benton Camper

Files

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 2.56.45 PM.png

Citation

“Southern Aid Society’s New Home Office Building, Richmond, Virginia.,” Black Virginia: The Richmond Planet, 1894-1909, accessed September 22, 2018, http://blackvirginia.richmond.edu/items/show/478.